Clinuvel is currently trialing SCENESSE® (afamelanotide) in a range of light and UV related skin disorders (photodermatoses) and for the common pigmentary disorder vitiligo. It is proposed that SCENESSE® will provide prophylactic treatment to patients suffering from photodermatoses by stimulating melanin to act as a photoprotective filtering the impact of UV to the skin. In vitiligo, SCENESSE® is proposed as the first pharmaceutical to assist in the reactivation of melanin in skin. Here the drug is currently being investigated as an adjunct therapy to narrowband ultraviolet B (NB-UVB) light therapy.
Clinuvel's current clinical focus is on:
Erythropoietic Protoporphyria (EPP)
Erythropoietic protoporphyria is described as absolute sun intolerance, intolerable pain suffered when skin is exposed to light.
- Read more about Clinuvel's program for erythropoietic protoporphyria (EPP).
- Learn more about erythropoietic protoporphyria (EPP).
Common pigmentary disorder, also known as generalised vitiligo.
Skin cancer in Organ Transplant Recipients (OTRs)
Squamous cell carcinomas – non-melanoma skin cancers – and actinic keratosis (AK), a precursor to skin cancers, in organ transplant recipients (OTRs).
- Read more about Clinuvel's program for OTRs
- Learn more about squamous cell carcinoma skin cancer.
- Learn more about actinic keratosis.
- Learn more about skin cancer in organ transplant recipients.
- More information on Clinuvel’s AK/SCC trials with organ transplant recipients is available on the ClinicalTrials.gov website.
Polymorphous Light Eruption (PLE/PMLE)*
Likened to sun poisoning. Suffered by 10-20% of population.
- Read more about Clinuvel's program for PLE.
- Learn more about polymorphous light eruption (PLE).
- Find more information about PLE trials on the ClinicalTrials.gov site.
Solar Urticaria (SU)*
Acute anaphylactic reaction to sun.
Phototoxicity associated with systemic Photodynamic Therapy (PDT)*
A debilitating photosensitivity to sunlight and artificial light (skin and eyes) that can last up to 90 days after PDT treatment.
- Read more about Clinuvel's program for PDT.
- Learn more about phototoxicity association with photodynamic therapy.
* Clinuvel has announced a strategic focus of its program for SCENESSE® on EPP, AK and vitiligo. Clinuvel's current resources focus on the development of SCENESSE® for these conditions.